'Piano Man' is discharged from care


THE so-called "Piano Man" has been discharged from the care of an NHS Trust, it has been confirmed.

There had been a "marked improvement" in the unidentified man's condition and he was no longer being treated, a spokesman for the West Kent NHS and Social Care Trust said.

Social workers spent months trying to help the man, who had been silent since he was found wandering aimlessly near a beach on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent, in April wearing a dripping wet suit and tie.

He was dubbed the Piano Man by the media after the Trust said he "played classical music beautifully for four hours" to carers.

Improvement

But today it was reported that the man finally broke his silence last week, revealing to staff that he was from Germany but made his way to the UK after losing his job in Paris.

A Trust spokesman would not comment on the details of the report in the Daily Mirror, but said: "The patient dubbed the Piano Man is no longer in the care of the West Kent NHS and Social Care Trust.

"He has been discharged from our care following a marked improvement in his condition.

"The rules regarding patient confidentiality mean that the Trust is unable to make any further comment on this story.

"This includes any comment on his condition, current location or the circumstances in which he left the Trust's care."

Embassy

The German embassy in London said it had been called by health officials in Kent about the case, and had then contacted the man's family in Germany to verify his identity.

A spokesman said: "The hospital called us up on Friday morning saying that there was a man claiming to be a German national.

"We contacted his parents and his identification was confirmed. We gave him replacement travel documents and he left the UK using his own arrangements on Saturday morning.

"The hospital did not give any indication of his health. This was a neutral affair for us. It was someone who had lost his passport and needed to get back to Germany and we helped him."

He added that he could not disclose any personal details about the man, although German internet news sites have been reporting that he is 20-years-old and originally from Bavaria.

Medio: Manchester Evening News
Fecha: Lunes 22 de agosto de 2005
Notas: © Copyright 2006 Manchester Evening News. If you wish to use this article for commercial purposes please contact our syndication department.
ID: 1937 Editar

<- Anterior | Siguiente ->
Volver al menú
Imprimir esta página